Diwali at Trafalgar Square



The Diwali festival was celebrated in Trafalgar Square, London with great pomp. The Mayor of London had hosted the Diwali celebration on Sunday, 19th October 2008. It is called Mayor of London - Diwali. I took Bakerloo line from Kenton to Charing Cross and took Trafalgar Square Exit. There were lots of Indians flocking around in that area, although I had reached the venue quiet early. There was huge Lord Ganpati Idol standing in front of the Trafalgar monument. The Diwali Celebrations Stage was put up infront of the Trafalgar Square Monument. There were tents setup by different NGOs on the square. They were distributing Diwali Greeting Cards and Balloons. After some time the celebrations started with prayer to Lord Ganesha and speech my Mayor of London.


The program continued with lots of Bollywood songs and dances. The place became crowded slowly. There were food stalls with Indian offering Indian food. I grabbed some food stuff to eat. Since I had to go to Birmingham the next day, I left for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment